The essay is a type of text that analyzes, evaluates or interprets a specific topic, either officially or freely. Its main feature is that it is a text in which the writer has complete freedom to organize content and information. It is also considered a literary genre, such as poetry, fiction or drama. All the essays usually present a fairly clear structure, which is articulated around an introduction, a development and a conclusion. If you want to know how to structure a lengthy essay, look at the following article.
Steps to follow:
- The essays must have a clear introduction, a development and a conclusion. This is, broadly speaking, the essential structure that we must learn in order to write or identify an essay.
- The introduction of an essay is one of the most important parts of it, because in it, the author will make clear what is the topic that will be approached, what is his thesis and its main lines of argument. It supposes 10% of the essay, and in the same one, the problems of the subject in question can be raised, reflections of the author, readings of other authors, etc.
- In the development, the author of an essay exposes and analyzes the topic that he has chosen in depth. It raises your ideas and arguments based on other sources such as magazines, interviews, books and even online sources. It is the largest part, since it occupies 80% of the trial. In addition, it is necessary to synthesize and summarize all the content, because even if it is the broadest part it should not be tedious.
- It is in the development where the author, first, presents his main ideas, which must be argued by secondary explanations and be encouraged in concrete data obtained, as we mentioned above, from other sources of information but also from their own assessments and opinions. It is important that all the ideas exposed are well intertwined and the essay has coherence.
- Finally we find the conclusion, the part in which the idea or the most important ideas of the text are summarized. Those that the author wants to stand out above others. Thus, it will clearly show what your position is by quickly listing the most important arguments given in the development.